Monday, October 17, 2016

Psychosomatic Autointoxication


(You might not want to think too long about what is in your colon)

#inktober2016
#MaybeYouShouldSeeADoctorAboutThat

When much recent scientific research underlines the importance of diet and the gut microbiome in overall human health, one could be reminded of the old school digestion-obsessed health gurus like Dr Jenson, Paul Bragg, Dr. Shelton, or even John Harvey Kellogg. 

Obsessing about what is going in, and what is going on inside, can often lead to obsessing about what is coming out...or about what is not coming out.

We've all heard someone make the ridiculous  statement that people carry around 10 pounds of health-endangering decaying fecal material in their colons- that is unless they have done something extraordinary to remove it. 

In the slightly more plausible theory of "autointoxication," proponents argue that poor diet leads the body to reabsorb waste products through the walls of the large intestine from material retained within. 

And...is that really what happens? Well, maybe not...but no one feels good about poor internal housekeeping, so to speak.

While I remain mostly frightened of the various procedures that might access my contents of my large intestine, during the last few months, I have spent more time discussing the bowel habits of myself and my family than I ever imagined possible. 

I can't make fun of anyone else for spending too much time talking about poop, as I now live in a glass house on this topic.

But I am glad that I don't have a glass colon.

No comments:

Post a Comment